As part of Saint Thomas Health’s commitment to serve the poor and vulnerable in Middle Tennessee, the five-hospital health system hosted a free medical screening event in Rutherford County Saturday, June 8.
The Rutherford County “Medical Mission at Home” event was held at the Minerva Drive Church of Christ and volunteer medical personnel including, physicians, nurse practitioners, dentists, technicians, pharmacists and dozens of other hospital staff from Middle Tennessee Medical Center, Baptist Hospital, Hickman Community Hospital and Saint Thomas Hospital, provided free medical, dental and optical check-ups, along with pharmacy services from the Dispensary of Hope to Rutherford County residents most in need. Optical check-ups were provided by Coley and Coley Family Eye Care and dental check-ups were provided by the Tennessee Department of Health.
- There were 953 patient encounters during the event
- Saint Thomas Health served 204 individuals total
- 123 Murfreesboro and Rutherford County community volunteers assisted, including the Minerva Drive Church of Christ congregation
- Coley and Coley Family Eye Care performed 159 vision screenings, of which 94 were issued vouchers for free exams and glasses.
- Coley and Coley Family Eye Care gave out 31 pair of reading glasses
- The Tennessee Department of Health performed 37 pediatric and adult dental exams
- The Dispensary of Hope filled137 prescriptions
- MissionPoint Health Partners performed 70 blood pressure screenings
- Saint Thomas Health’s Our Mission in Motion mobile mammography coach performed 22 mammograms
- Volunteer Behavioral Health therapists conducted 30 screenings and counseling sessions
- Nashville Cares performed 37 HIV screenings
“I can’t say how proud I was to be a part of the Medical Mission at Home at Middle Tennessee Medical Center,” said Sherry Galloway, emergency physician at MTMC. “Our nurses, physicians and lab technicians worked tirelessly, without a break, to treat some of our community’s most vulnerable residents. Their work is truly inspiring.”
Rutherford County has more than 274,000 residents. For the latest data reported in 2010, 16 percent of the residents are uninsured. More than 12 percent of Rutherford County residents are living below the poverty level with.
LIKE us on Facebook and keep up with what's happening in the Boro