Murfreesboro City Schools is proud to announce the 2020 Teachers of the Year. Teachers from each school were nominated for the prestigious education award given by the Tennessee Department of Education.
Teachers from each school were nominated for the prestigious education award given by the Tennessee Department of Education. Twenty-six teachers were chosen by their peers for the honor based on their commitment to teaching excellence both in and outside of the classroom.
School Level Teachers of the Year are:
- Discovery School – Teresa McCarthy, Kelley Kleppinger
- John Pittard Elementary – Deborah Collier, Molly Oliver
- Cason Lane Academy- Shay Wilson, Latasha McFarland
- Salem Elementary – Kinsey Johnson, Cynthia Martin
- Overall Creek Elementary – Sara Brown, Christy Honey
- Scales Elementary- Kimberly Hix, Isormari Pozo
- Bradley Academy – Abbey Sanders, Regan Clark
- Erma Siegel Elementary – Brandy Cheatham, Margaret Lane
- Reeves-Rogers Elementary -Renee Maurtua, Danielle Johnson
- Black Fox Elementary – Kim Gambill, Meredith Patrum
- Northfield Elementary – Judy Gritton, Rachel Bjork
- Hobgood Elementary – Terri Guess, Corynn York
- Mitchell-Neilson School – Heather Konyar Curry, Beverly Sanford
Two educators were selected as System-level honorees and will represent MCS at the regional level. The 2019-2020 MCS System-level Teacher of the Year recipients are: Rachel Bjork from Northfield and Teresa McCarthy from Discovery.
The Tennessee Teacher of the Year program is designed to promote recognition, respect and appreciation for teachers, to stimulate interest in teaching as a career, and to encourage public involvement in education.