Officials Say Duplex Fire Started with Christmas Tree

Officials say that a duplex fire at 2566 Concord Court just after 3:00 Saturday afternoon started with the Christmas tree.

The residents called the fire in to Dispatch and stated that the Christmas tree was on fire and quickly spreading. Ladders 1 and 6, Rescues 7 and 8, and Engine 4 arrived on scene and discovered that fire had consumed the entire room.

According to Acting Battalion Chief Mark McCluskey, the left side unit received heavy fire, smoke, and water damage, but the right side unit only received light smoke damage and a hole in the wall for firefighters to ensure the fire did not extend to the other unit.

Three residents were displaced and were offered assistance from the American Red Cross.

It is unknown just how the Christmas tree caught fire. However, the National Fire Protection Association reports that one of every three home Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical problems. A heat source placed too closely to a tree causes roughly one in every four of the fires.

MFRD would like to remind the community that it is important to get rid of a live tree after Christmas or when it becomes dry. Dried out trees are an extreme fire danger and should not be left in the home or garage. The tree should not be placed outside against the home either. For more information on safe practices with Christmas trees, please visit www.nfpa.org.

Tags
Show More

Murfreesboro.com

Welcome to Murfreesboro.com. This site was designed to help foster communication between the residents of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Whether you're looking for news, events, jobs, etc. you can find it all right here on Murfreesboro.com.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close