MFRD Responds to Dryer Fire at 1417 Belle Oaks Drive

Murfreesboro Fire Rescue Department crews responded to a house fire at 1417 Belle Oaks Drive just after 8:30 Friday morning.

According to Ladder 8 Captain Hunter Fite, firefighters arrived to find smoke and flames on the back side of the home. Fortunately, all occupants were outside and safe.

Fite said the fire started in the dryer located in the laundry room, but traveled up the outside wall. Crews were able to get the fire out quickly enough that it did not spread to the attic or other areas of the home.

At this time, Fite does not believe that the residents will be displaced.

Fire at 1417 Belle Oaks Drive

Dryer Fires / What can you do to prevent?

The U.S. Fire Administration reports that every year 2,900 home fires are started by clothes dryers. This includes an estimated five deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss. Failure to clean the dryer (34 percent) is the leading cause of these fires which typically occur more in the fall and winter months.

What can you do to lessen your risk of fire in your clothes dryer? Clean lint filters every time you use the dryer and have your dryer ductwork cleaned at least annually, if not every six months.

MFRD’s Community Risk Reduction Division is working with CityTV to develop a public service announcement on dryer and bathroom exhaust fan safety. It is still in the production phase, but is expected to be released soon.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact MFRD’s Community Risk Reduction Division Monday-Friday 8:00 am-4:30 pm at 615-849-2605.

Tags
Show More

Murfreesboro.com

Welcome to Murfreesboro.com. This site was designed to help foster communication between the residents of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Whether you're looking for news, events, jobs, etc. you can find it all right here on Murfreesboro.com.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close