Smoke alarms alerted residents of a fire at their home on Mockingbird Lane shortly after 8:00 Wednesday morning.
Rutherford County Fire & Rescue (RCFR), Rutherford County Emergency Medical Services (RCEMS), and Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office responded to find smoke exiting the structure.
“Crews made quick entry,” said RCFR Captain John Ingle. “Firefighters extinguished a chair that was on fire in the residence.”
According to Ingle, the fire appears to have been accidental and electrical in nature. One occupant was transported by RCEMS for symptoms of smoke inhalation.
RCFR would like to take this opportunity to remind the community about the importance of working smoking alarms in the home. “Working smoke alarms definitely made a difference in this case,” said Ingle. “Had the residents not been alerted to the fire in the early stages, the fire could have spread quickly and the outcome could have been much worse.” Ingle also said, “When your alarm is going off, you should exit your home and contact 9-1-1 immediately, especially if you suspect a fire.”
If you need smoke alarms, RCFR can assist by installing them free of charge. Contact the main office at 615-867-4626 Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.